Archive for the ‘Recipes’ Category
(1) small onion, diced (1) tblsp olive oil
(2) Teaspoon cumin (1) teaspoon chilli powder
(3) teaspoon paprika 1/2 tsp salt
(4) tsp dried oregano (1) red bell pepper cored and sliced
(5) small jalapeno pepper, diced (6) ozs corn kernels fresh or frozen
(1) 15 oz tin black beans, drained & rinsed (1) 16oz jar of medium salsa
1 1/2 cups cooked rice 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for three minutes, add all spices and stir together. Continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
2. Add red pepper and jalapeno and cook for further 2-3 minutes. Add beans, corn, salsa, rice and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Stir until well combined.
3. Turn into baking pan, cover with additional cheese (mixed together). Cover and bake at 350 degrees for (25) minutes. Uncover and bake for a further (5) minutes.
QUICK AND EASY MICROWAVEABLE FUDGE
TIN SWEETENED, CONDENSED MILK 16 OZS GOOD QUALITY CHOCOLATE (BITTER-SWEET OR SEMI-SWEET) CHOPPED. NOT CHOCOLATE CHIPS. 2 OZS BUTTER’ 1 TABL SPOON VANILLA EXTRACT 8” X 8” FOIL PAN SPRAYED WITH RELASE (PAM OR SOMETHING LIKE) PUT MILK AND CHOCOLATE INTO MICROWAVEABLE SAFE BOWL. STIR TO COMBINE.
MICROWAVE ON HIGH FOR ONE MINUTE.
STIR AND ADD BUTTER AND VANILLA. RETURN TO OVEN AND MICROWAVE FOR A FURTHER ONE MINUTE.
REMOVE FROM OVEN AND STIR UNTIL FUDGE BECOMES SMOOTH AND SHINY (APPROX 30 SECONDS).
POUR INTO PAN AND SMOOTH TOP. SCORE AND PUT INTO REFRIGERATOR FOR APPROX (4) HOURS OR OVERNIGHT.
CUT INTO SQUARES.
WILL KEEP IN REFRIGERATOR FOR APPROX 2 WEEKS (IF IT LASTS THAT LONG).
STIR IN NUTS AND OR DRIED FRUIT TO YOUR LIKING UPON SECOND STIRING WHEN REMOVED FROM MICROWAVE.
IF YOU WISH TO MAKE WHITE CHOCOLATE FUDGE SUBSTITUTE 1 LB 8 OZS GOOD QUALITY CHOCOLATE, GRATED RIND OF ONE LARGE ORANGE AND 1/2 CUP DRIED CRANBERRIES. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS AS ABOVE.
THIS RECIPE IS FOR A 750 W. OVEN.
Reindeer Beer : Looking for something fun to make for a holiday gift? These “reindeers” create a lot of smiles.
To make them, you will require the following :
(1) 6-pack of beer of your choice
(1) package of chanelle pipe cleaners
(1) package of small red pom-poms
(1) package of plastic or sugar eyes
Take one of the pipe cleaners and fold in half, but make a flat base for attachment to the top of the beer bottle. Twist each half to give them a “knotted” look. Take another pipe cleaner and cut into four pieces. Twist two of the pieces onto each half of the pipe cleaner to create an “antler”. Glue to the cap of the beer bottle and also cover with a small piece of clear tape to ensure that the antler will stay upright.
Place a dab of glue on the bottle where you would like the eyes and nose to be placed. Wait for approximately a minute or two and then attach them. Follow the same method for each bottle until finished. Allow to stand overnight to allow attachments to be completely set.
If beer is not your beverage of choice, this will work well with any slim-necked bottle.
Enjoy and have a wonderful holiday!
Best Lemon Bars – I love lemon bars and have searched high and low for a good recipe. I found one that I liked and “tweaked” it to get the bars the way I like them. I hope you will enjoy this too :
8” SQUARE PAN, ENOUGH FOIL TO LINE. TURN THE PAN UPSIDE DOWN. PLACE THE FOIL OVER THE TOP (SHINY SIDE UP) AND PRESS AROUND PAN TO MAKE SHAPE. PLACE SHAPED FOIL ON INSIDE OF PAN AND PRESS TO GET AS SMOOTH AS POSSIBLE LEAVING ABOUT 1” EDGE OVER SIDES.
CRUST 1/2 CUP BUTTER (OR MARGARINE)- ROOM TEMPERATURE 1/3 CUP CONFECTIONER’S SUGAR – UNSIFTED 1 TSP VANILLA 1 CUP ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR – UNSIFTED
CREAM BUTTER (MARGARINE) UNTIL LIGHT. ADD CONFECTIONER’S SUGAR AND VANILLA. CONTINUE BEATING UNTIL WELL INCORPORATED INTO BUTTER. ADD FLOUR ON LOW SPEED UNTIL INGREDIENTS JUST COME TOGETHER FORMING A SOFT DOUGH. PRESS DOUGH INTO 8 “ X 8” SQ PAN LINED WITH FOIL. PRICK ENTIRE SURFACE OF DOUGH WITH A FORK . CHILL FOR APPROX 1 HOUR. BAKE AT 325 DEGREES FOR APPROXIMATELY25- 30 MINUTES UNTIL LIGHT GOLDEN IN COLOUR.
LEMON TOPPING :
(3) LARGE LEMONS (THIN SKINNED)- WELL WASHED (3/4) CUP SUGAR (3) LARGE EGGS (EGG BEATERS) (4) TSP CORN STARCH (3) TBLSP MELTED BUTTER (OR MARGARINE) 1/4 TSP SALT
WHILST THE CRUST IS BAKING, CUT THE LEMONS IN HALF, REMOVE THE SEEDS AND CUT INTO QUARTERS. PUT THE CHUNKS OF LEMON INTO A FOOD PROCESSOR WITH SUGAR. PULSE UNTIL LEMON LOOKS LIKE A SLURRY. ADD EGGS (EGG BEATERS), CORNSTARCH, SALT AND MELTED BUTTER (MARGARINE). BLEND UNTIL WELL INCORPORATED.
REDUCE OVEN HEAT TO 300 DEGREES. POUR LEMON FILLING OVER HOT CRUST AND BAKE FOR 22-23 MINUTES.
REMOVE PAN FROM OVEN AND LET COOL COMPLETELY. ONCE COOL, REMOVE FROM PAN USING FOIL OVERHANG, CUT INTO SQUARES AND SIFT POWERED SUGAR OVER TOP BEFORE SERVING.
RECIPE MAY BE DOUBLED. BAKE CRUST FOR 30 – 35 MINUTES AND LEMON FILLING 22-25 MINUTES.